one of the definitions of the word "correspondent" is a person with whom one converses through writing: is there a corresponding ;-) word for a person with whom one converses vocally (either in person or via telecommunications)?

  • 1
    Correspondent. A common usage of this term when referring to vocal communication is found on televised news broadcasts. – Ian MacDonald Mar 5 '15 at 20:48
  • The speaker of a sentence or utterance is to be distinguished from its intended addressee(s). The first is the referent for I, and the second is the referent for you. Anybody else is third person. – John Lawler Mar 5 '15 at 20:55
  • Interlocutor is fun to say. – StoneyB on hiatus Mar 5 '15 at 21:01
  • Uh, talk-buddy? – bib Mar 5 '15 at 21:40
  • StoneyB can you make that an answer that I can accept? That's the kind of word I wanted – user1476905 Mar 6 '15 at 14:48

Correspondent, cor·re·spon·dent \ˌkȯr-ə-ˈspän-dənt, ˌkär-\ noun -MW

a person whose job is to send news to a newspaper, radio station, or television program often from different places around the world;

one who has regular commercial relations with another;

one who contributes news or commentary to a publication (as a newspaper) or a radio or television network often from a distant place

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.