An orphan is a child whose parents have died. Is there a single English word to describe a parent who has lost all their children? If not, what is the most clear and concise description for this condition?

  • I don't think there's a single word or standard phrase. "Lost his/her family" might fit, but it kind of implies loss of siblings and spouse.
    – Hot Licks
    Commented Mar 5, 2015 at 3:10

1 Answer 1


She/he is called now childless mother/ now childless father/ now childless parent; parents who not only suffered the loss of a child, but who suffered the loss of either their ONLY child or ALL their children.

...And I know how It feels for I once lost a child.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.