Me and a friend were discussing something we experience (too) often: we discover some new concept or thing (for example "photography" or "knitting", can be anything) and become completely obsessed with that thing for a short period of time. Most often though this temporary obsession disappears as sudden as it appeared.

Is there a word for this all too common state of sudden, temporary obsession?

  • 3
    (passing) fad -- see fad: "A fashion that is taken up with great enthusiasm for a brief period of time; a craze;" "a personal idiosyncrasy or whim" TFD thefreedictionary.com/FAD
    – Kris
    Commented Mar 3, 2015 at 11:46

4 Answers 4


How about a flare?

a sudden burst, as of zeal or of anger



A passing fancy:

  • A passing fashion, activity, or feeling lasts for only a short period of time and is not worth taking very seriously.

(Cambridge Dict.)

  • a word for "temporary obsession" is "infatuation".

Vocabulary.com puts it as:

Infatuation is falling in love with or becoming extremely interested in someone or something for a short time.


Maybe it just your latest craze

Latest craze n.

1: an exaggerated and often transient enthusiasm : mania 'the latest craze in music'

Reference: 'Latest craze' n. Merriam-Webster Dictionary online. Accessed 03/03/2015

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.