I'm looking for a word like "pondering", of "considering" which has the connotation that I am very likely to decide to do the thing I am pondering/considering.


  • 2
    You mean in the idiomatic sense of [increasingly] moving to a position of accepting something? As opposed to the literal sense of considering in earnest (not lightly), which doesn't necessarily carry any subtext of "likely to be selected". Idiomatically, we often say we're moving towards making [the choice we're "seriously considering"]. Mar 2, 2015 at 20:11
  • 4
    Leaning towards?
    – Minnow
    Mar 2, 2015 at 20:12
  • Thanks, but I'm looking for a single word (if one exists). Mar 2, 2015 at 20:16
  • @Minnow It looks like an answer to me (in fact I wrote and posted it, having overlooked your comment; now deleted)
    – bib
    Mar 2, 2015 at 21:08
  • One term which has not, so far, been suggested is contemplating. One of its meanings per the ODO is have in view as a probable intention. I am not sure if this provides the degree of settled intent that you have in mind.
    – WS2
    Mar 3, 2015 at 0:23

3 Answers 3


To be inclined to:

  • wanting to do something or likely to do something

    • I'm inclined to leave early!

(M -W)


Viable, widely used words

  1. I will likely go to the circus. (Or, probably.)
  2. I am inclined to accept the offer. (Previously suggested by Josh61.)
  3. I anticipate buying the car.

The above words do not precisely fit your definition, however. "Likely" does not explain that you must ponder the issue. You wrote that you want the word to convey that you are "very likely" to select a specific option, but "inclined" is an imprecise word that could mean anything from "more likely than not" to "all but certain."

Dialect specific word

In the American English sub-dialect used in the southern US, one of the senses of fixing to precisely fits your meaning. Most people consider the phrase "improper English", but it exists because it serves a purpose that other words do not fulfill. To those who understand the term, "I'm fixing to give him a piece of my mind!" (plus the context of the statement) would certainly mean, "I have not fully resolved to talk to him, but it is highly likely [especially if the circumstances do not improve or if the circumstances worsen.]"

If there is an equivalent phrase in standard American English, I am unaware of it. Despite the utility of this phrase, I have rarely used it outside of the southern US (and Texas), and I only use it earnestly in spoken English and ironically or mockingly in some writings.

It's a shame, though. The etymology of fix shows that "fixing to" is a more natural use of the term than the modern meaning of "repair." A useful phrase banished by the so-called educated. C'est la vie.

  • Wouldn't 'I am inclined to' mean that I am not fully resolved (to do something) but it is highly likely that I will (do it)?
    – user66974
    Mar 2, 2015 at 23:09
  • 1
    'inclined to' is generally used alone to suggest the idea that you are (very, highly) likely to do something: books.google.com/ngrams/…
    – user66974
    Mar 2, 2015 at 23:21
  • 1
    Fixing to is not native to me, but I have this feeling that it is only appropriate when the thing you're fixing to do is positive. For example, if someone's dog had terminal cancer, it would sound very strange to me if they said “We’re fixing to have him put down”. Or is that just me? Mar 3, 2015 at 1:11
  • 1
    No, "fixing to" is a strong synonym for "preparing to," and similarly, it is used in many situations. Mar 3, 2015 at 3:06
  • 1
    Also, to "fix" the local color, a native southerner would say, “We’re fittin' to have the dog put down”.
    – user98990
    Mar 3, 2015 at 13:23

As to mull wine bespeaks an intent or inclination to drink it, so to mull an option may suggest an inclination to act upon it. OED identifies this sense of the verb (v.4 1.b.) as U.S.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.