What do you call a person who needs assistance in a general sense?

This could be in terms of needing help finding something, or needing a small job done, or help understanding something, or getting an opinion on something.

Pretty much just being helped or assisted in general, not necessarily due to an inability to do the task themselves.

  • You'd call them a "client" if you really wanted the job. – Oldbag Mar 1 '15 at 14:24
  • If those helped get assistance from an organization, they may be patrons, patients, customers, recipients, consumers, guests, users, shoppers, purchasers (or clients as @Oldbag offers). – bib Mar 1 '15 at 19:55
  • In the US, the current fashion in retail is to call the customers "guests" - In the quasi-medical business of aiding the challenged or disabled,(who are not children) the term "client" is favored. (I assumed from OP's question, that he was offering services to the elderly - "client" is a respectful way of saying that someone is a recipient of those services.) – Oldbag Mar 1 '15 at 23:51

I believe that person is help-seeker; similar to job seeker, asylum seeker, truth seeker, thrill seeker, information seeker, publicity seeker and attention seeker.

  • 1
    The OP's question does not suggest that the person concerned is seeking help, just that they are in need. Many such people do not actively seek assistance. – WS2 Mar 1 '15 at 11:34
  • +1 @ WS2 In this case then he/she is help-needing.The OP is asking for a word. – sojourner Mar 1 '15 at 12:08
  • 1
    Except that help-needing is not a term I would use, nor expect to hear. I do, though hear people talk about someone in need of help. – WS2 Mar 1 '15 at 15:05

Could it be a person in need?; or a person in need of help?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.