I have a software user interface that toggles between the full schedule and a schedule that covers the most recent weekend and the upcoming weekend. Any idea what to call this?

  • I don't believe there is a common English term for this. – Hot Licks Feb 27 '15 at 18:27
  • 1
    The people who will use your software must have a particular need to see this not-quite-a-week schedule, or you wouldn't be building it. So ... what do they call it? Either in person, or in their existing system. What does it do for them? See also: 'There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation and naming things. -- Phil Karlton' - martinfowler.com/bliki/TwoHardThings.html – TessellatingHeckler Feb 27 '15 at 20:15
  • @Phil Nice! I'm a software developer and I've run into both of these issues today. – Paul Rowe Feb 27 '15 at 21:18
  • @Phil Great point, but there is no term I'm aware of. I'm adding the feature because I think that's the only part of the schedule that people care about 80% of the time. – Kevin Swarts Feb 27 '15 at 22:31

Go for something that's reasonably self-explanatory, like "weekend-weekend" or, if space is limited, an appropriate abbreviation. If you have to abbreviate it, make sure you have a tooltip that expands the abbreviation.

  • weekend-weekend is a great suggestion that I would not have come up with on my own. – Kevin Swarts Feb 27 '15 at 22:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.