Occasionally I see someone write out sentences,,, like this,,, with exactly three commas. The first time I saw it I thought it was a personal idiosyncrasy, but I've seen it enough times now that I wonder: is there some obscure origin or history to this practice?

  • 8
    I have never seen three consecutive commas in English (as opposed to computer) text except when the commas were typos for periods (...) that the author had intended to use as ellipsis points. – Sven Yargs Feb 24 '15 at 3:33
  • 1
    Did you just invent a new practice? Or were you reading materials where the author had invented a new practice that no one else in the world is practicing? – Blessed Geek Feb 24 '15 at 4:33
  • 1
    Someone was saying online the other day "triple comma is proper to indicate additional pause for dramatic effect and camera shots ,,,." -- perhaps, used in transcripts. – Kris Feb 24 '15 at 6:34
  • @tchrist: The "comma ellipsis" is a relatively new phenomenon, but it's become pretty prevalent in some circles online, to the point where it is something that people will reasonably ask. I don't see why it would be off-topic for this site - a nonstandard English usage, granted, but one that users of this site may well come across and ask about. What would it take to re-open this question? – psmears Nov 30 '20 at 15:40

(,,, like this,,,)-type writing style is not a proper English writing style.Moreover, we normally use dots for ellipses not comas.However, I have seen (,,, like this,,,)-type writing style in web media in other languages than English due to wrong usage of two-alphabets keyboard (one alphabet being English alphabet) where the key that has the sign for dot can be confused with English alphabet key for coma,,,.Or it may be just laziness on the part of the person typing in the web site, bearing in mind that most web users have not received any typing lessons in their own language or in English using a dual alphabet keyboard.

  • What a condescending answer. It may not be formal English, but that does not make it wrong or an accident. It is online slang, generally used to indicate a more emphasized trail-off, somewhat like a mixture between an ellipsis and comma, like you'd hear after saying "anyhow". – Azsgy Sep 28 '20 at 13:48

I've always used ',,,' and the only origin I can think of was I interpreted that from a handwritten version of '...' where the periods were slightly elongated out of haste. Also I don't recall a time where I was ever corrected for using three commas on either handwritten or typed essays.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.