What is a formal way to say something has a lot of activity in it? I can only think of two informal ways to say it. For example:

  1. This field of physics is very "happening" right now.
  2. This field of physics is very "hot" right now
  • 3
    Popular, trendy, in vogue . . .
    – Robusto
    Commented Feb 20, 2015 at 15:11
  • You could say it's very much a live issue - which is slightly colloquial, but much less "slangy" than your examples. Or topical Commented Feb 20, 2015 at 15:12

2 Answers 2


Sounds as if the word you need is active. This field of physics is very active, right now.


I think dynamic may fit in your context:

  • Characterized by continuous change, activity, or progress: a dynamic housing market.


In full swing or in high gear: may be useful expression to convey the idea

  • Fig. at the peak of activity; moving fast or efficiently. (*Typically: be ~; move [into] ~; get [into] ~.) In the summer months, things really get into full swing around here. We go skiing in the mountains each winter. Things are in high gear there in November.
  • "Dynamic" and "in full swing" are perfect fits.
    – Centaurus
    Commented Feb 20, 2015 at 15:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.