Possible Duplicate:
Definite article before proper nouns

Do I always have to put definite article "THE" in front of the name of university? For example, Kiev National University OR THE Kiev National University?

marked as duplicate by RegDwigнt Apr 27 '11 at 19:39

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.


No, you don’t need the there. The university’s own about page (the English version) does not use it.

Arguably the is required if you are referring to The Ohio State University, but that is a rather bizarre special case.

  • Is this the only university which needs an article in front of it? :) – Valentina Apr 27 '11 at 19:37
  • What's if I say: "my friend studies at Kiev National University"? Does it sound all right? – Valentina Apr 27 '11 at 19:40
  • @Valentia Yes, “The” OSU is the only university I know of that needs an article. It’s a weird quirk. Update: Actually the article I’ve linked to mentions three or four other (smaller) universities with this quirk. It is still very rare, though. – Jason Orendorff Apr 27 '11 at 19:43
  • What's if I say: "my friend studies at Kiev National University"? That sounds fine. In fact it sounds quite a bit better than “My friend studies at the Kiev National University”. – Jason Orendorff Apr 27 '11 at 19:44

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.