What do you call someone who builds fences other than maybe "fence builder"?

Is there a specialized name for that - maybe even archaic?

A smithy smith works with metal (Correction @Chris H)
A cooper builds barrels
A wheelwright makes wagon wheels

  • 1
    A smith works with metal in a smithy.
    – Chris H
    Commented Feb 19, 2015 at 17:35
  • 1
    A barrierier?
    – bib
    Commented Feb 19, 2015 at 18:37

3 Answers 3


As an occupation, the common terms are:

  • fence builder
  • fence erector
  • fence installer

They are also mentioned under construction trades in "1990 Census of Population and Housing: Classified Index of Industries and Occupations" by U.S Department of Commerce:

enter image description here

Other related occupations that are mentioned:

  • concrete fence builder
  • wire-fence builder
  • wire-fence erector
  • wood-fence installer
  • rustic-fence builder

For example, fence erector and fence builder are both mentioned in a job opening in Canada Job Bank:

enter image description here

OED lists fencer also for this sense and gives the earliest reference from 1881:

Chiefly Austral. and N.Z. One employed in putting up fences.

1881 R. C. Praed Policy & Passion I. 241 ‘Where is father?’..‘In the office settling with the fencers.’

  • In the US I think even a lone individual operating out of the back of his minivan would call himself a "fencing contractor".
    – Hot Licks
    Commented Feb 19, 2015 at 19:40

Collins has fencer for this meaning but says mainly Australia/New Zealand. I've heard it in the UK as well.

While this is a less common use than sword fighting for sport you could use it in a list of building and related trades, for example.

  • 1
    Yes, the word fencer is used in the UK for a lone bloke who puts up a fence. If it were a company or a business you would call them fencing contractors.
    – WS2
    Commented Feb 19, 2015 at 17:49
  • In much of the US a "fencer" is a device that electrifies the fence.
    – Hot Licks
    Commented Feb 19, 2015 at 18:21
  • @HotLicks that wasn't in any dictionary I saw - but the first couple of sites were being too slow for me, hence Collins, which is UK then commonwealth biased.
    – Chris H
    Commented Feb 19, 2015 at 19:09

It's called fancy, just kidding

it's usually called:

Fence builder

A carpenter can build a fence too, well, if it's made of wood, of course, anything related to woodworking can be done by a carpenter.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.