Are there english words for a person who sincerely thinks of him as an expert but in reality (by common standards) is not?

Source: Recently, in my native place, a very popular movie actor (let us say his name is extrem) started a music band and held a live show during a government sponsored program which was widely criticized and made fun of. Nowadays, if someone claims to be something he is not, the media refers to it as extremism jokingly.

  • That person is a fool, in common parlance.
    – Robusto
    Feb 9, 2015 at 15:47
  • "wannabe", "poser", a "legend-in-his-own-mind" are a few examples that might fit your description Feb 9, 2015 at 15:49

2 Answers 2


Maybe you would call such a person a dilettante -- one "whose interest in an art or in an area of knowledge is not very deep or serious."


It is nowadays a bit dated to call someone a a big head, but that probably sums up what you are looking for, better than anything.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.