What do you calls these "observation" beds?

enter image description here

I think they aren't hospital beds because a veterinary clinic isn't technically a hospital?

  • I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it deals with medical / veterinary jargon rather than everyday English. Commented Feb 10, 2015 at 16:46

2 Answers 2


I would call that an examination table. You can Google for more images if you run a search using the term "veterinary examination table".

  • 2
    Of course, it is possible that a table of this type could be used for carrying out operations too (which is certainly suggested by the bags of saline hanging above it, and by the powerful lamp directed downwards towards the table). If that was its main purpose, you would call it an operating table. (I notice also that the table has what I assume is a gutter for collecting body fluids that runs close to all four edges of the table.) However, the most mysterious thing about this photo is that all seven of the women appear to be identical in every way except for how they are standing...
    – Erik Kowal
    Commented Feb 9, 2015 at 12:47
  • yeah, that's freaky - like something out of the X-Files! Commented Feb 9, 2015 at 15:51
  • With all due respect, @ErikKowal, this is not an examination table.
    – JLG
    Commented Feb 10, 2015 at 15:50

What is pictured is a surgical suite, and the metal table in the foreground is a surgery table. (Shor-Line is one of the leading providers of veterinary hospital [yes, they are called hospitals] equipment in the U.S.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.