I am looking for a verb that describes speaking with a full mouth, like a child asking something at the dinner table before swallowing, because they are so anxious/curious for the answer. Anything come to mind? I didn't find ANY.

  • 1
    I think "gross" is the usual word used to describe this. – Hot Licks Feb 6 '15 at 16:48
  • "Yeah, it's flmmpf flmmpf flfff, flath, mmmph, blahgggghspf," etc. Don – rhetorician Feb 6 '15 at 19:41
  • Not to be confused with "foul mouth" or to be "foul-mouthed" (i.e., to speak in a profane/blasphemous manner) – Pantelis Sopasakis Feb 6 '15 at 22:56
  • If there were a word for this, generations of kids would not have been told by their parents "Don't talk with your mouth full." – Hot Licks Dec 21 '15 at 23:50

Speaking with your mouth full, as a phrase, means speaking with your mouth full of food, but I take it that is not your meaning.

To say something suddenly and without thinking is to blurt.

To speak excitedly and at excessive length is to gabble.

To speak without making sense (due to anxiety, ignorance, or some other reasons) is to babble.

  • Yes -- sorry for the confusion -- I did mean - speaking with a mouth full of food - a child eating candy - asking impatiently - to blurt could work - kind of - but it has this rude intonation to it -- which is not the focus here - more the fact that it s hard to understand the question because it is being asked with a mouth full of food – Marie Feb 6 '15 at 16:45
  • or is blurting not rude ?? could try it :-)) – Marie Feb 6 '15 at 16:47
  • No, I would say blurting is usually rude. – Gerger Feb 6 '15 at 17:02
  • yes, it s not the RUDE aspect I am looking for - but the impatient one ! to ask impatiently -- thats the verb I am looking for – Marie Feb 6 '15 at 17:06
  • Just call the man in mind, "Barbarian!" – Mauli Davidson Feb 6 '15 at 17:33

To talk with one's mouth full. Example: A parent says to a child at the dinner table, "Don't talk with your mouth full."

  • Right, but the question is asking is for a single word that encompasses that entire phrase. – Yee-Lum Dec 21 '15 at 23:16

The closest verb I can come up with is sputter

verb, intransitive
To spit out or spray particles of saliva or food from the mouth in noisy bursts.

The American Heritage Dictionary

From Google Books an example

“What? You made me?” The boy sputtered and almost choked on his corn. He wiped his mouth on his sleeve.


I don't believe that there is a specific word for "talking with food in your mouth", but you can certainly describe how it sounds when you talk with food in your mouth:

"Mom, why do cats chase mice?" Jimmy slurred around a mouthful of peas.
"Mom, why do I have to go to school?" Jimmy garbled, his mouth full of cereal.

Or you can describe the results of the talking-with-stuff:

"Mom, will I ever have a sister?" Jimmy asked, dribbling half-chewed lima beans onto his lap.
"Mom, where do babies come from?" Jimmy demanded as he chewed, flecks of pie spraying out onto the table.

  • 1
    I think garble means "to render unintelligible" and refers to the agent, not the speaker: "The cereal garbled Jimmy's words." To slur one's words carries the unmistakeable implication of mental deficit, often chemically induced. – Malvolio Feb 12 '15 at 5:23
  • ah this is great !! I just saw it - sorry for the late response. Thats what I ended up doing -- your second advice -- i described the food - aka candy -- being eaten. all these words, like garble, slur, gable, mumble, mutter --- all that is somehow not childish enough -- it s a child asking how a game is played - full of excitement and curiosity -- she cant wait to swallow the candy, she must ask right away.... – Marie Feb 14 '15 at 17:06
  • yes, garble is a voice distorted by something --- the connection kept garbling hos voice -- and to slur is too drunk sounding -- the word cannot be derogatory -- which somehow most of these words are – Marie Feb 14 '15 at 17:08

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.