Suppose that you work in a company located in London. One day they send you to install some equipment in Manchester. The whole task takes one day and you return to London at the same night. They will pay you extra money for doing this job outside of your regular workplace.

1- What is this mission called? (I have seen the word posting but it seems to be used for longer periods of time like one month or more.)

2- What word would you use for the extra money that you will be paid for doing that task?

  • 1
    Workplace SE might be of interest. – SrJoven Feb 6 '15 at 0:15
  • 1
    The term "remote assignment" covers everything but the precise duration of the task. You can clarify that by adding "one-day" before "remote assignment." – Sven Yargs Feb 7 '15 at 4:01

In the States, extra payment for work outside your regular workplace is usually called per diem.

per di•em (pər ˈdi əm, ˈdaɪ əm) n. 2. a daily allowance, usu. for living expenses, as while traveling in connection with one's job.

| improve this answer | |

The US military refers to this as TDY or Temporary Duty.

It is colloquially referred to as Temporary Duty Yonder, but the General Service Administration's Acronym Dictionary defines it as Temporary Duty:

TDY: Temporary Duty

The pay is referred to as Temporary Duty Allowance in the GSA's Federal Travel Regulations:

Chapter 301—Temporary Duty (TDY) Travel Allowances

| improve this answer | |

You are working off-site while you are in Manchester.

Merriam-Webster defines off-site as:

away from the place of a business or activity

| improve this answer | |
  1. work trip; business trip

  2. travel allowance

| improve this answer | |

There is the term second (pronounced as below), but it's pretty formal:


tr.v. seconded, seconding, seconds ...

  1. (sĭ-kŏnd′) Chiefly British To transfer (a military officer, for example) temporarily.


Your second question may not have an answer other than bonus (or perhaps a coining such as inconvenience bonus).

| improve this answer | |
  • To second is to transfer control of someone to another entity, for a period of time. i.e. If, instead of working for my normal employer, I was sent to work directly for another company in a capacity as though I was an employee of that company, I would have been seconded. A single day, working for my employer but working at a client's office, is not a secondment. – AndyT Oct 5 '15 at 11:07
  • M-W does not require this stricter definition: second to move (someone) from a regular job to a different place, department, etc., for a short period of time >> It also broadens the sphere of application beyond the military. – Edwin Ashworth Oct 5 '15 at 18:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.