Curtains, when hung up make an "S" pattern back and forth.

I was recently talking about hanging up a sheet on a wall, and the sentence I wanted to say was similar to:

"If you hang up that sheet, then it'll be _____".

Wrinkly comes to mind, but that implies permanency, which is not what I want.

Is there a word that means "not flat" in a non-permanent way?


The curtain is pleated. The "S" pattern you described is accomplished by gathering the curtain onto a rod where the length of the curtain is longer (wider) than the rod, resulting in a soft pleating, as opposed to a sharp, or knife pleat as found on kilts and schoolgirl uniforms.

A curtain hanging on a wall, flat, would not have the same affect, but gathered on a rod attached the wall, would have the same softly pleated characteristics.

  • 1
    Perfect. I was actually going to attempt an answer to this question, but I couldn't possibly compete with that. Pardon my old fashioned outlook but I should have known that soft-furnishings are a lady's department.
    – WS2
    Feb 5 '15 at 17:01
  • 2
    I'll take the compliment @WS2 - I know my realms! :-) Feb 5 '15 at 17:02

Undulating (or undulated) might suit. Derived from Latin "undula", a wavelet.

It connotes large surfaces, particularly, the sea.

  • Doesn't undulating imply constant motion though?
    – user3065
    Feb 5 '15 at 21:55
  • @barrycarter Apart from the sea, it is also used about sands or, in general, landscape. But you're probably right that the association with regular, ceaseless motion is somehow there (I'm not sure about "constant motion" :).
    – anemone
    Feb 5 '15 at 22:17
  • "continuous motion" is what I meant. What are the odds of finding linguistic nitpickers here? ;)
    – user3065
    Feb 5 '15 at 22:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.