I've seen prose referring to HTML pages and html pages. What is the correct English written description (assuming in modern English - in a written technical book) for an html page?

Open the HTML page in your browser


Open the html page in your browser


  • I understand this is an acronym and so should be capitalized
  • I also understand that as this is used in idiomatic English for people typing in web pages, it is frequently used and understood in the lowercase form

My question is: What is the correct term in English prose for HTML page or html page?

1 Answer 1


HTML is an acronym, and should be capitalised. If you really wanted a lower case equivalent, I would just say "Open the web page".

It's like calling the USA and UK the Usa and Uk, which could be misleading.

EDIT: Since most files are saved with a lower case extension, you could say " Open the .html page ", but this is purely a reference to the extension to avoid confusion.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.