After having used "high depth" in a report, I consider it now almost as an oxymoron. But, is "large depth" better English? What would be an alternative adjective? (I'm not looking for the abyss as I am writing a technical report.)

  • 3
    Bad (because not used by normal native speakers): High depth, large depth. Good: Great depth, [for very great depths] profound depth. – Erik Kowal Jan 27 '15 at 12:19
  • If you’re talking about oceans, vast depth also works, though Erik’s great depth is by far the most common. – Janus Bahs Jacquet Jan 27 '15 at 12:25
  • The fact is that mostly we measure up, and therefore when we measure down it hasta be because we're measuring something really big, like an ocean, that keeps us at the top. Normally in a lab graduates are graduated from the bottom up. – John Lawler Jan 27 '15 at 15:31

As already noted in the comments, the usual collocation with depth is great.

enter image description here

It is also possible to use ngrams to check usual collocations with the "_ADJ depth" search, providing the top ten from their corpus.

enter image description here

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.