Is there an adjective to describe someone with the ability to quickly grasp/see the whole picture out of a few perceived details. This person is not detail-oriented and never fails to see the forest for the trees. Gestalt effect comes close to what I mean but I'm looking for an adjective.

  • For gestalt, the OED has derivatives only gestaltism and gestaltist. It has no adjective like gestaltic. But you could probably use that and be understood.
    – GEdgar
    Jan 26 '15 at 15:41
  • 1
    Perhaps perspicacious? Jan 26 '15 at 15:42
  • 2
    'Visionary' would overlap with this, but it's an overworked word. 'Perceptive', 'discerning' and 'far-sighted' are synonyms. Jan 26 '15 at 15:42
  • @GEdgar gestaltic is good but I'm looking for a word that is not scientific.
    – user15851
    Jan 26 '15 at 15:48
  • 1
    – 0..
    Jan 26 '15 at 15:58

If your point is to contrast details with the whole picture I'd suggest


This probably needs to be explicitly combined with "perception" to get the point across.

  • 1
    Holistic can't describe a person.
    – user15851
    Jan 26 '15 at 15:50

You could describe him or her as a "big-picture thinker" or a "big-picture person."

  • I'm looking for a single word.
    – user15851
    Jan 26 '15 at 15:54

One word that describes the ability to grasp and understand the entire situation is "grok" taken from Heinleins "Stranger in a strange land"

One who groks a problem or situation understands it deeply, all the way doen to the sub-atomic level.

  • OP definitely wants an adjective and grok's a verb.
    – tmgr
    Jan 22 '19 at 22:41
  • 1
    @tmgr 'grokalicious'?
    – Mitch
    Jan 22 '19 at 23:29
  • @Mitch If you're a Turtle, maybe... in which case, Mitchelangelo? Otherwise I'd go grokky, seeing you're asking!
    – tmgr
    Jan 22 '19 at 23:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy