I've encountered the phrase small of one's back often when I was reading the Divergent series, and recently encountered it again on a Wikipedia article. I've searched its meaning on the internet, but I'm still confused as to where exactly it is located in the body. Some says it's near the buttocks , some says it's higher up, on the part where the usual "curve" is on the torso area. Where did the term came from? Where is it exactly? Is there a single word for it?

  • The small of the back is the part of a person’s back where the spine curves in at the level of the waist. But I have no idea why it's called that. – FumbleFingers Jan 26 '15 at 14:49
  • Maybe it's called that because it's where the circumference of the torso is smallest? Or if you look at a profile, it's where the width is smallest. Both of these don't apply to obese people, though, so it's a pretty anachronistic term now. – Barmar Jan 26 '15 at 18:38
  • @Barmar well I am obese. LOL – IBG Jan 27 '15 at 1:21
  • @BrianHitchcock it's actually my initials, so yeah. – IBG Jan 29 '15 at 2:49

Roundabout the 5th lumbar vertebra?

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.