I am trying to describe the individual components of a a list of academic degrees:

AS Accounting

AS Marketing

BA Sociology

BA Economics

BS Accounting/Finance

BS Information Technology

The first 'word' is a two-letter code indicating the degree level (associate's, bachelor's, etc.).

Is there a word to describe the remaining content of the degree? Normally, I hear this described as "An Associate's Degree in Accounting", or "my bachelor's in Sociology." Other words I have considered but am unsure about include:




I am looking for a word or phrase that could complete any or all of the following sentences:

"The _____ of my associate's degree is Accounting"

"The _____ of my bachelor's degree is Sociology"

"The _____ of my master's degree is Education"

EDIT: A bit more context for my request - I am constructing a database holding information about a university, and trying to name the field containing the second portion of the values listed above (Accounting, Marketing, etc.)

  • Most people would eschew the first three words. My _____'s degree is in _______. – SrJoven Jan 21 '15 at 15:48

Field of study is the generalized term for the subject of the degree given.

| improve this answer | |

I think 'subject' would work for all your examples.

| improve this answer | |
  • 4
    Please give a rationale for your answer. – Matt E. Эллен Jan 21 '15 at 15:53
  • @MattЭллен If you put 'subject' into the OP's sentences, it works. What better rationale could there be than that? – Mynamite Jan 21 '15 at 17:03
  • +1 - This answer also would have satisfied the requirements of the question I posted, but "Field of Study" was chosen by our user base. – AHiggins Jan 21 '15 at 18:34

I generally hear it called a major. Wikipedia says that's supposed to be for undergraduate degrees (Associate's, Bachelor's), but it should be well understood at any level.

| improve this answer | |
  • 2
    major is a US/Canadian term; moreover only applies to undergrad. Field of study is universally understood, and is generic. – smci Jan 21 '15 at 23:08

"Field" would be my first choice, as in "field of study" — but "of study" is unnecessary in the context. The term is commonly-enough understood on its own that there's a classic corny joke about it.

Another option would be "discipline" (as in, "academic discipline"). (No jokes for that one.)

| improve this answer | |
  • +1 solely on the basis of your usage of the word "corny" – AHiggins Jan 22 '15 at 12:53

I would suggest "scope", "field" or maybe, frenchy-fancy, "métier"

Though "métier" would normally not be used in the context of an aimed study but more likely in narrative, respectively casual language. E.g.:

After trying several careers, she found her true métier in computer science. (merriam-webster)

Additionally it is more conventionally used in a negative context. E.g.:

This is not my métier.

Furtheremore I neither know how common it actually is.

Subject, as suggested in the earlier answer, would work as well.

| improve this answer | |
  • "Métier" is not common in English. An ngram comparing your three terms (all meanings) is here. – WBT Jan 25 '16 at 3:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.