What are the verbs for mixing milk with hot water, chocolate powder with hot water, or tea with hot water? Such as:

I am preparing my powdered milk? I am making my hot chocolate? I am pouring hot water with my tea?

It has bothered me for a long time. However, it is a typical question, which can not be solved by dictionaries.

Thank you very much!

  • 1
    Could you edit your question to make is clearer? The subject conflicts with the body, and each of the sentences seem to conflict with each other.
    – user63230
    Jan 21, 2015 at 4:13
  • Just FTR you're allowed to use a capital letter to begin the sentence which is your question title. There's no extra charge. You can use the edit button to fix this problem.
    – Fattie
    Jan 21, 2015 at 4:13
  • Just as Andy says. If you're having trouble finding the edit button (many people seem to - it should be larger) it is just below the last sentence of your question body.
    – Fattie
    Jan 21, 2015 at 4:14
  • Joe Blow: Thank for your comment. It is done. andy256: Do you have any suggestion about how to rewrite the question? Thank you.
    – Superuser
    Jan 21, 2015 at 4:19
  • I'll make an edit. You can roll it back if you don't like it.
    – user63230
    Jan 21, 2015 at 4:25

5 Answers 5


The word is make.

I will make the milk. I will make the hot chocolate. I will make the tea.

See, for example American Heritage Dictionary.


With SWR, often the answer is "there is no such single word."

Traditionally someone officially gives that as an answer, so:

There is no single word for "adding liquid to...". You just have to say "adding liquid to..."

Moving one step up conceptually and using 'making" is the best you can do here. If you're literally writing an explanation of how to make these drinks (a recipe, receipt, as it were) you would have to use "add water to" for that step - as you can see in recipe books.

In arcane situations (like, a science lab when adding small amounts of liquid in to some powder) you can use "wetting".

Please note that when the answer to a SWR is *"is no single word** for..."* then, logically, it's impossible to "give a reference" for that, since you can't prove a negative. (Except in the bizarre case that there's a research paper on the existence of such a term.)


For making tea, you could say steeping or brewing. For mixing powders such as powdered milk or cocoa powder with liquid, you'd use a more general purpose word like making or mixing.

  • Thank you very much. Can I say that I steep a cup of tea or I steep a tea bag?
    – Superuser
    Feb 2, 2015 at 7:26
  • I would say "I'm brewing a cup of tea." If I were explaining why I hadn't drunk my tea yet, I would say "I'm letting my tea steep." Feb 2, 2015 at 17:31

You could go with make.

As in: "I am making a glass of milk. I am making a glass of hot chocolate. I am making tea."

Would it sound awkward if we use fix? as in " I will fix up a glass of milk".

  • For the milk I would use making up powdered milk. Probably because you don't normally make milk from ingredients unlike the other 2 examples.
    – Chris H
    Jan 21, 2015 at 9:45

Although rehydrate has its root in water, a definition allowing for any liquid may be found in The Free Dictionary:

to restore moisture or fluid to (something dehydrated).

Similarly, rehydrate is given as a definition for hydrate.

Rehydrate then seems particularly suitable for powdered milk, which is a once-wet product that has been evaporated to dryness. It may not fit as well with products that have not been dehydrated, though.

  • side note: Another word for rehydrating something to its original consistency or strength is "reconstitute". I wouldn't use this in ordinary conversation, but you might see it on a label, particularly of fruit juice "made from concentrate", where the first ingredient is usually "water sufficient to reconstitute". Jan 21, 2015 at 7:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.