What is a single word suggesting doubt in the heart coupled with unsettledness?

One could doubt without being unsettled by an affair - I want a single word combining the two.


Qualm — "an uneasy feeling of doubt, worry, or fear; a misgiving".

| improve this answer | |

trepidation is a possibility.

| improve this answer | |

How about unease or angst?

| improve this answer | |
  • Bah. I came to post "unease" and you beat me to it. +1 – MrHen Apr 22 '11 at 20:00
  • @MrHen: Well, you're always getting in ahead of me! ;) – Kelly Hess Apr 23 '11 at 19:26

Anxiety sounds like a good choice for what you want.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks for that but you could be anxious about something without doubting in it. 'I'm anxious about my job interview.' or doubt in something without being unsettled by it.'I doubt that I will come out this weekend.' – nicholas ainsworth Apr 22 '11 at 17:36
  • 1
    @nicholas: I disagree. Anxiety is the word you seek. You can't be anxious about something unless there's an element of doubt. If you know exactly what bad thing is going to happen, you're fearful, etc. – FumbleFingers Apr 22 '11 at 17:44
  • @FF, I disagree. Medications, and some mental conditions can cause anxiety with no external cause. A pretty lame technicality, but hey. – Sam Apr 22 '11 at 22:04
  • "Qualm" is an awesome word. I consider my suggestion checkmated. – mfe Apr 22 '11 at 22:19

Perturbed? According to NOAD:

perturb (verb)
(often be perturbed) make (someone) anxious or unsettled

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.