What is the word for a person who expects other people to be like him, for example, a dad who wants his son to be like him?
I don't believe that there is a single word which describes what you're asking for. You probably need a short phrase to give this idea:
He expects others to follow his example.
He wants his son to take after him.
He thinks he knows what's best for everyone.
-Difficulty with empathy
-Problems distinguishing the self from others
-Inability to view the world from the perspective of other people
I think you can find a word to mean someone who holds people to the highest standards: perfectionist. I think you can also find a word to mean you want to imitate others: mimic.
Though I think no one word exists which combines these two ideas perfectly. I suppose the closest you can get is perfectionist or perhaps idealistic, for someone who might very well expect others to be like him.
A few options:
- role model
The idea of a son being like the father can be expressed as:
- a chip off the old block
- an apple that didn't fall far from the tree
- zealot, one who is zealous, one who is full of zeal for his own specific beliefs or objectives, [often] too passionate; a fanatic
- missionary, Someone who attempts to convert others to a particular doctrine or program
- evangelist, as used in "technology evangelist", a person who attempts to build a critical mass of support for a given technology
- apostle, An ardent early supporter of a cause or reform
- proselytizer, someone who encourages or induces people to join a movement, political party, or other cause or organization
I think the question is about a person with an unthinking bias, an attitude that is unquestioned and unexamined in themselves. They "expect", meaning: can't conceive otherwise. Given that, I would use the word immature, or naive, depending on whether they have had enough experiences that they ought to have learned better, or haven't yet.
An autocrat, maybe—in the sense suggested in the following definition of autocratic from Oxford Dictionaries:
Taking no account of other people’s wishes or opinions; domineering: an autocratic management style