I'm looking for a word that encapsulates both an object's position and direction.

Similar words:

  • a "point" has just a position.
  • a "vector" has a direction and magnitude
  • an "orientation" has just a direction

I'm ideally looking for a short simple word, however I'm also interested in any mathsey words which may describe the concept.

  • 2
    In what sense does a position have a direction? Jan 13 '15 at 17:43
  • To clarify, a position might have a direction with respect to another point (position); but in that case the "direction" is in fact the direction of a vector pointing from the second position to the first. Jan 13 '15 at 18:48
  • @MattGutting, I can be standing at a position, and facing north. I'm looking for a word, if there is one, to represent this pair of details. I've seem some places use the word "node", but it's not really correct, so am seeing if there's a better one.
    – Lee
    Jan 13 '15 at 22:26
  • I know in one sense it is a vector from point origin, facing in the direction of another vector (ignoring the magnitude on the second). But a VectorVector didn't really seem like the best one could come up with...
    – Lee
    Jan 13 '15 at 22:30
  • 1
    You're out of luck, I think, as far as a single word is concerned. Jan 14 '15 at 11:18

In robotics, computer vision and mechanics, pose of an object refers to combination of its position and orientation.

Note that aforementioned word perhaps makes sense in science community and not necessarily in normal daily conversations (the question has mathematics tag after all!).

See als roto-translation and homogeneous transformation.


A ray is a mathematical term that specifies a position and direction without magnitude--and in only 3 letters.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.