It seems like another branch of statistics that is complete enough to deserve its own specialty name.

  • This is only obliquely related to statistics in that it works with statistical data, but isn't concerned at all with the collection of that data. "Information Design" is what you're after.
    – 1252748
    Jan 13, 2015 at 5:57
  • I call them GRAPHic Designer. Get it? Heheh. On topic, in my company the division for that is called "Data Warehouse", which job includes analyzing data and producing meaningful data from it (which includes graphs and pie charts).
    – Raestloz
    Jan 13, 2015 at 6:40
  • 1
    How about diagrammer? (not an official word)
    – ermanen
    Jan 14, 2015 at 4:37

2 Answers 2


Looking to Edward Tufte for inspiration, the term "data-visualizer" seems appropriate.


The sub-field is called Computational and Graphical Statistics. Here is a link to the current issue of their society's professional journal.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.