I'm trying to figure out the proper word for a person who is placing bets on various matches at a betting company. I've found only these: bettor / better , punter, but I have literally no idea about usage of these.

Please give me some insight into this problem.

closed as off-topic by Drew, anongoodnurse, Misti, Chenmunka, choster Jan 14 '15 at 0:44

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    Have you looked up a good dictionary for definitions and uses of those words? – Neeku Jan 12 '15 at 21:36
  • I was trying to get this explained by someone who understand how these words are used in context. There are no resources on how to use these words and my common dictionary didn't help me at all. – adeam Jan 14 '15 at 14:25

Better, bettor, punter, gambler- someone who bets.

Reference: Oxforddictionaries.com

Punter- informal , chiefly BrE, a person who gambles, places a bet, or makes a risky investment.

Bettor- chiefly AmE, a person who bets, especially on a regular basis.

  • This doesn’t answer the question, it just repeats the definition of the three words the asker is asking about. – Janus Bahs Jacquet Jan 12 '15 at 20:08
  • 'punter' is not used in the US. 'bettor' would be understood but would sound weird in AmE. – Mitch Jan 12 '15 at 21:11
  • This answer also reproduces dictionary definitions without the correct attribution. Sources must be identified in plain text and not just by a link. – Andrew Leach Jan 13 '15 at 8:29

We call them "gamblers", if they are placing bets for themselves, "bookies" if they are placing bets for others. (US)

Interestingly, the verb to gamble is not used as often in this sense - but usually more figuratively. One lays (or places) bets, and plays the horses - in the same way that one would "play" poker or blackjack.

  • Clearly the word gambler is used in Britain too. But it is less specific to punter. Punting is the act of actually placing the bet. A punter is a gambler. The fact that there are two words, invoking the general and the particular, is an example of the very wide range of vocabulary in everyday use in Britain. – WS2 Jan 13 '15 at 20:14

In the UK those betting on horse racing etc are almost universally known as punters.

The OED attests this use since its first example from 1860 .

Punter is also used for one who bets against the bank at a number of card games. This is perhaps from the French ponte, but the etymology of both uses is uncertain, and it is not even known if they are from a common root.

  • 1
    A cautionary note: a punter is also a colloquial term for the customer of a prostitute. – Janus Bahs Jacquet Jan 12 '15 at 20:10
  • Thanks for your answer but I was looking for something like the answer down. – adeam Jan 12 '15 at 20:21
  • @JanusBahsJacquet Also a swindler or member of a criminal gang. A punter can be any of about six different things, all situated on the fringes of 'respectable' society. And that's before you even get into the matters of punting boats, or punting footballs. – WS2 Jan 13 '15 at 19:59

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.