Is there a term for names that consist of a noun or noun phrase followed by an ordinal letter or numeral? For example:

  • Exhibit A
  • The Land Before Time IV
  • Patient Zero

Perhaps ordinal proper noun or ordinal titular appositive would be appropriate?

1 Answer 1


Is more specific than or the same as King John, Section C, House Atreides? I would call those titular appositions. You use an apposition to mention something's (semi-)title in a proper noun.

  • I was specifically asking about a term that would apply to Section C but not King John or House Atreides. So I suppose that that term would be more specific than titular apposition. But thanks for your answer; I wasn't familiar with titular apposition.
    – Max Radin
    Jan 9, 2015 at 5:04
  • @MaxRadin: I made it up, but grammatically it's the same construction, I should say. Jan 9, 2015 at 19:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.