What's the word for "the kind of very close relationship between friends that feels like one involving family/relatives"? It's something ending with "-ish", and can be used in this kind of sentence:

"I'm having a ***************-ish dinner with them".

In other words, it's a kind of dinner with very close friends that you consider family.

  • Well, there's "sisterhood" and "brotherhood" among same-sex comrades; and "camaraderie" among a group of friends of either or both sexes. One speaks of "bonding" (and of "soulmates", although this usuallly applies to a pair of lovers, not just close friends.) – Brian Hitchcock Jan 8 '15 at 6:29
  • Maybe I'm inviting John over for a brotha-from-anotha-motha dinner. – bib Jan 8 '15 at 13:47

I assume your friends are more like brothers or sisters to you than they are like grandparents, so "brotherly", "sisterly", or "fraternal" work, although none of them end with -ish.


If the emphasis is on relaxed enjoyment, rather than the familial aspect (why assume that family dinners are enjoyable?!), then I would use "cosy", or (as a German word which has also acquired currency in English) "gemütlich".


The term Frenemy is well known, I'd suggest the opposite: Framily

"I'm having a framily dinner with them".

  • Hello, Sam. But frenemy can mean 'a person who is an enemy, masquerading as a friend'. Your suggestion would be confusing: people would have to guess a meaning for this non-lexical item. – Edwin Ashworth Aug 11 '15 at 21:30

For your particular use case, "family"-ish, "private"-ish or maybe even "tight"-ish could work well. I'm unconvinced that any of those constitutes proper usage though, and would rather go with either a "close dinner" or a "private dinner."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.