Preschool seems to be the word typically used for children's education before they enter elementary school. But how do we call a child who has finished preschool education? Is it valid to use preschooled? I just Googled for this term and found no such usage.

  • 2
    One tends to call them preschool children until the point at which they become school children.
    – Jon Hanna
    Jan 6, 2015 at 12:08
  • 1
    Maybe sixish?
    – bib
    Jan 6, 2015 at 12:55
  • 3
    "A graduate of the finger-painting academy"?
    – Oldbag
    Jan 6, 2015 at 12:59
  • @Oldbag: And possibly cum laude.
    – Drew
    Jan 6, 2015 at 22:00

3 Answers 3


In Britain we would say that they were a child of normal school age, (or of school age).

This would mean either that they had reached their fifth birthday (from when education becomes compulsory), or that they were a rising five and, depending on the local schools' admissions criteria, were eligible for a school place.

Perhaps because there is no legal requirement for a child to be pre-schooled, though nowadays almost all children are, there would seem no requirement for a word which means 'pre-schooled'.

A pre-school institution is usually, nowadays, called a day nursery. The word kindergarten, resonant of the private-school sector, is a bit old fashioned, nowadays.

  • +1 for school age. But in the US, the usual age for entering kindergarten is around 5 years old. Six year olds attend what we call first grade. Also, may US jurisdictions do not require schooling until age six.
    – bib
    Jan 6, 2015 at 12:57

In the USA, kindergarten is not part of pre-school, but part of regular education. So, a kid either done with preschool or never gone to preschool is kindergarten ready. Kindergarten is part of elementary or primary school in the USA.


Kindergarten graduate (sounds sweet!)

Picture on Chicago Tribune

jotform has a form for registering a "Kindergarten graduate"

Use this form insert details of the child graduating from kindergarten.

Oscar Grady Public Library has a program called


  • The programme is called “1,000 Books before Kindergarten”. The page you link to shows a girl who is a graduate of the programme. She has not graduated kindergarten—if she had, she wouldn’t be eligible for the programme at all! Jan 6, 2015 at 15:27
  • And in first grade we can refer to our distinguished pupil as being enrolled in post-kindergarten graduate studies.
    – Drew
    Jan 6, 2015 at 22:01
  • @JanusBahsJacquet The purpose was to show the use case.
    – Kris
    Jan 7, 2015 at 6:46
  • @Drew "post-kindergarten studies" -- see usage.
    – Kris
    Jan 7, 2015 at 6:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.