I'm looking for a phrase that is like 'special dispensation', but I know that's not the phrase I'm looking for. I'm trying to say that work had to be done on object X that was different, and unique, for objects Y, Z and A.

3 Answers 3


Depending on the context, there might be a term that's more common in one line of work or another, but a core word to this is "case," as in special case, unique case, or edge case. Each one carries a sense of variation from some common or expected procedure.

Speaking of which, terms like "variation" or "exception" might also work. Variation often applies in policy-oriented contexts. For example, a fire safety code may require all hallways narrower than a certain width to be clear from wall to wall. Some lab-oriented building that needs to place equipment in the hall has to apply for a variance.


For a variance that exists due to age, 'grandfathered' may be what you are looking for.


'special case' or 'requires special treatment' are possibilities.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.