I'm not talking about the one caused by grease, but the one that occurs spontaneously. A little puff that sends thousands of sparks around.

  • 1
    This is a constructive subjective question. I hope answers use SE's hints, and provide reasonably long, not short, answers that explain “why” and “how” in a constructive, fair, and impartial tone, sharing experiences over opinions and backing up any opinion with facts and references.
    – Andrew Leach
    Commented Dec 30, 2014 at 7:24

3 Answers 3


I would call it "crackling"...           

  • 1
    I thought crackling was the sound a fire makes. Commented Dec 30, 2014 at 8:20

Wow... No two dictionaries have the same definitions for this, but you could use flare, or flare-up or "sudden flare". (Or, "little explosion")


There is quite a bit of scope here for using onomatopoeic words like snap, bang, pop, crack and the like, particularly if you double up the descriptive verbs to make the intended meaning clear:

The bonfire sparked and popped, and the damp logs that lay uppermost began to steam.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.