Is there a word in English, no matter from which origin e.g. French, Latin, etc., to describe a house that has a yard area? Or do we just have to say house/home with a yard?
Update: By house, I mean an average apartment (flat) with bedrooms, sitting room, bathroom and a kitchen. I am, however, not sure if that's the way house is used colloquially. In fact I am translating a non-English text that reads "houses with yards" into English. That's why I came up with the question.
Update 2: In response to @mitch, text of origin is [in Persian]: 
اگرچه خانه های حیاط دار از نظر اقلیمی هنوز در بسیاری از نقاط دنیا قابل قبول اند، ولی در حال تبدیل به اشکال دیگری هستند.

And Google Translate gives:
The courtyard houses of the climate in many parts of the world have been acceptable, but are converted into other forms.

As in Google's sentence courtyard house seems reasonable. Doesn't it?

  • 1
    "House and yard". Usually if there is no yard, though, some other term is used. – Hot Licks Dec 28 '14 at 19:42
  • 1
    That's like asking for a word that means a house with a kitchen or a house with a bathroom: you wouldn't have one because that's the normal arrangement. – tchrist Dec 28 '14 at 19:49
  • I'm not sure if curtilage is accepted as a verb yet, but if so you could refer to a curtilaged house. – Edwin Ashworth Dec 28 '14 at 20:35
  • 1
    Mehdi, what is the term you're translating, and what does google translate give you (that will give us a start). – Mitch Dec 28 '14 at 21:33
  • 1
    A building that comprises just one unit of residence and has a bedroom, bathroom, sitting room, kitchen, and garden would normally and most generically just be called a house. Depending on various details, there may be a more precise term, but that description exactly fits the mental image conjured up by the word house on its own. – Janus Bahs Jacquet Dec 28 '14 at 22:59

This depends a lot on where you are. In North America, it's assumed that a house is free-standing and has a yard.

In the UK, however, I don't think that's necessarily the case, since I've been told that "house" means row-house.

  • 2
    Actually we generally call free-standing houses "detached houses". – Jez Dec 28 '14 at 21:17
  • 2
    Row houses usually do have a yard, too, albeit a smaller one (for obvious reasons of geometry). – Janus Bahs Jacquet Dec 28 '14 at 22:35
  • 2
    In the UK, "house" is completely unspecific as to whether it is detached (free-standing), semi-detached (one of a pair of joined houses) or terraced (one of a row of joined houses) - you would usually need to specify which, if it is important. "House" never in my experience means "flat" or "apartment". Only unusually large, wealthy houses have enclosed courtyards, but most houses have at least a little bit of garden at the front or back or both (and it is usually called a garden rather than a yard even if it is completely paved). There is no special word for a house with or without a garden. – Colin Fine Dec 28 '14 at 23:16
  • 1
    In the UK, 'yard' is very distinct from 'garden' - 'yard' suggests a small paved/hard-surfaced area at the back of the house with space for rubbish bins etc, while 'garden' implies a larger area with lawn and/or plants etc. @Colin Fine In my experience, a yard is only called a garden by estate agents. . . – peterG Dec 29 '14 at 0:26

I think this is a cultural/architectural thing which is, one might say, untranslatable in the way you want.

In Modern European architecture, most family homes ('houses') do not include a courtyard. In fact they are very rare. Also, houses that do have courtyards do not have a special name for such a house, they are simply houses with courtyards. Such a house is remarkable for its uncommonness, but is not considered a concept on its own.

It seems you are looking for a single English word for this concept. I note that the Persian for this concept, خانه های حیاط, ( khaneh hayeh heeyat), is most literally three words, 'house', 'with', and 'yard'. So even in Persian culture, where houses very commonly have courtyards (an interior yard), it takes three words. As extensive as English vocabulary is, there is no necessity that every concept possible has a single word for it, moreso when there's hardly a cultural pattern for it.

  • In fact I was looking for equivalent for "خانه های حیاط دار". Agarcheh means although – codezombie Dec 28 '14 at 23:11
  • 1
    This raises an important point: are we actually talking about courtyards (as the Google Translate translation would indicate), or just general yards, i.e., basically just gardens (as in the question itself)? – Janus Bahs Jacquet Dec 28 '14 at 23:11
  • 1
    @MehdiHaghgoo oops, my google-fu isn't that good. So my assumption was totally wrong then, you don't care about a house with a courtyard, but rather a house that has a yard in front. But despite my mistake, everything else still holds even with that new wording. Also, what Maria says is appropriate, a house, in cultures associated with English speakers, usually by default has a yard with it. – Mitch Dec 29 '14 at 0:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.