I have read an article which includes the phrase "put white out on sth", but I am unable to guess its meaning.

Despite referring to http://dictionary.cambridge.org/, I haven't been able to look up this term. Can anyone explain it?

  • See meaning #3 here: thefreedictionary.com/white+out
    – Marthaª
    Dec 26, 2014 at 1:20
  • 2
    The reason you could not find it at the cambridge.org website is that the article you were reading evidently misspelled the name of the product. The name is actually spelled Wite-Out; if you input that into the cambridge.org search box, you will find it. The product itself is an opaque white correction fluid which competes with similar brands, such as Liquid Paper, Snopake and Tipp-Ex. (For more information, see the relevant Wikipedia article.) I once had a colleague who liked to refer to it as 'mistake juice'.
    – Erik Kowal
    Dec 26, 2014 at 2:23

1 Answer 1


"White out" (or more correctly, Wite-out) is correction liquid that is used for correcting mistakes written, printed or drawn in ink.

She put white out on her mistakes but didn't write her corrections.

He used white out to cover up the drips of ink on his drawing.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.