A gold digger is someone who marries for money. Is there a term for someone who marries for citizenship (and then divorces as soon as they get the citizenship)?


It's usually called a green card marriage.

Per wikipedia:

Green card marriage is a neologism that refers to the marriage of convenience between a legal resident of a country and a person who would be ineligible for residency but for being married to a resident.

  • ...so the person would be called a green card wife? Dec 16 '14 at 18:10
  • Well since it is usually not a legal marriage, you wouldn't want to go around telling everyone that your wife or hubby was a green card spouse. When or why would you want to ever use the term? I guess you could tell trusted friends or family, but some secrets may be too big to tell anyone.
    – pazzo
    Dec 16 '14 at 21:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.