I am currently translating a text concerning steam locomotives (from Slovak to English) and I am a little bit stuck on an issue with a certain part of a steam locomotive (in the red circle). enter image description here

Is there a specific name for that part? Like some kind of plate which helps to rectify the steam?

My second question is directly connected with the first one. Thanks to this particular part, the locomotive got its name, with these parts symbolizing "ears", therefore, the locomotive is called "Ušatá" in Slovak, which can be literally translated as "The one with ears" or "The one with big ears". Is there a word in English that would perfectly describe this attribute?

Any kind of help/answer will be much appreciated. :)

  • You might also try your luck at proz.com, a translation portal. – CowperKettle Dec 13 '14 at 22:08
  • 1
    Yeah, I am also considering the proz.com, but I also wanted to post it here, because I have been browsing through this website for quite a while and always found some helpful or relevant information. – vnkstl Dec 13 '14 at 22:11
  • 1
    In action. At first I thought you were talking about the round logo in the middle of your cicle - I thought it was a vent part of the kylchap exhaust system. But you mean the whole black flap. – user98955 Dec 13 '14 at 22:14
  • 1
    I am sorry, I should make the circle much more visible. I mean the whole black flap as you said, it is some kind of plate which was installed later, and the locomotive was named after that. – vnkstl Dec 13 '14 at 22:18
  • 1
    Well it is a beautiful piece of history, that is true :) No, not all locomotives had that. As far as I am concerned, the main function of these plates was to direct the smoke from the smokestack when the locomotive was ascending to the hill. – vnkstl Dec 13 '14 at 22:45

According to the English Wikipedia, they are called smoke deflectors:

Smoke deflectors, sometimes called "blinkers" in the UK because of their strong resemblance to the blinders used on racing horses, are vertical plates attached to the front of a steam locomotive on each side of the smokebox. They are designed to lift smoke away from the locomotive at speed so that the driver has better visibility. [link]

(I guess the "blinkers" idea would be analogous to the Slovak "ears" image that you mention.)

| improve this answer | |
  • Well done! I was specifically checking this Czech 475-179 steam locomotive: upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e8/… – ermanen Dec 13 '14 at 23:06
  • @ruakh Sir, you just made my day :) Thank you very much for your answer, I did not suppose that these things could be called "blinkers". The analogy between the blinkers and "ears" could also work, thank you :) – vnkstl Dec 13 '14 at 23:53
  • Smoke deflectors were sometimes called "elephant ears" in the US, according to the Wikipedia article s.v. Smoke Deflector. – tautophile May 3 '18 at 20:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.