So I am trying to name some interfaces in my code, and I can't seem to find an appropriate name for one of them.

I have Target for the Enemy, what would the thing "Targeting" it. It is not shooting it, it could be a sniper, a tank, a missile etc.

What would you call something that can target an object?

An answer on here suggests "Aimer" but that does not feel right at all, "Targeter" is not even a word, or at least not according to a Dictionary.

Any ideas?

First post here so excuse my terrible grammar and structure :p.

closed as off-topic by FumbleFingers, tchrist, Robusto, andy256, Chenmunka Dec 14 '14 at 18:11

  • This question does not appear to be about English language and usage within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • Something that can "target" the enemy is usually called a weapon. – FumbleFingers Dec 13 '14 at 17:39
  • Does the dictionary you cite have an entry 'target is not a word'? Wiktionary has the agent noun targeter n. A person who selects targets (typically for a remote weapons system). Some dictionaries list more words than others. – Edwin Ashworth Dec 13 '14 at 17:59
  • Other than shooter, gunner, archer/bowman I don't see what can fit your context. – user15851 Dec 13 '14 at 17:59
  • 1
    Tracker or Tracking Reticle might work. – Joe Dark Dec 13 '14 at 18:11
  • 2
    This question appears to be off-topic because it is about naming code artifacts, not English per se. That practice is specifically prohibited per the faq. – Robusto Dec 13 '14 at 19:29


Point your tracker at a target and it will track it - keep it in its sights - for as long as you need. The term is used this way commonly enough in computer games to be relevant, if nothing else.

Trace or tracer might be alternatives but I think tracker is clearer. Of the two, I prefer trace. It has a fine pedigree, both from traditional hunting and modern day surveillance, without the potential confusion that tracer presents since it can mean a kind of ammunition.

Pointer, while being the name of a type of hunting dog, is terribly inappropriate given the context ;)

  • This is good, Tracker is a very good name for it. As technically it keeps "track" of where a target is – Gibbo Dec 13 '14 at 19:26

"Forward sensors have a target lock Captain."

"Fire as you will Mr. Sulu!"

In infrared homing (Wikipedia):

In this scenario, the target itself provides the (infrared) emissions that the missile's Infrared homing sensor is able to detect; lock-on occurs when the missile is powered up and able to "see" the infrared signature of the target.

  • Also a very good answer for what I need, technically speaking this actually fits for my purpose (as is) more than the above, however as I expand the code it will make less and less sense. – Gibbo Dec 14 '14 at 10:33

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.