What word describes someone who speaks lots and says little, starts with long-, and takes six more letters to finish?

  • Your specific question has already be answered, but you can answer such questions for yourself by using sites such as One look. After a few tries to find the most relevant results, we see that long??????? gives the answer you seek.
    – user63230
    Dec 14, 2014 at 5:16

2 Answers 2


The answer is of course long-winded, but this would fit better on a gaming and puzzles sites.

The OED also provides long-lunged as a synonym of long-winded. Which one you want will depend on just where the other words in your crossword puzzle cross this one.

You won’t be able to use the synonyms long-breathed, long-tongued, or longiloquent because they have too many letters for your boxes, while longsome has too few.

  • 2
    If there's sufficient space for all of those words to fall and come to rest a short distance below the speaker's mouth, it might be long-chinded. Dec 13, 2014 at 16:43

Someone who speaks lots and says little is long-winded.

  • This answer was already given. :)
    – tchrist
    Dec 13, 2014 at 16:42

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.