Suppose you met a famous person, and you were shy and anxious and almost overwhelmed by them.

Is there a word for describing that? Similar to getting stage fright, or "choking", except in this case for a person?

When he said hello to me, I couldn't respond. I (was) __________.

  • When he said hello to me, I couldn't respond. I was revered.
    – Manish
    Dec 12, 2014 at 13:23

2 Answers 2


If it is specifically a famous person, you could use star-struck.




1. completely overawed by someone's celebrity status


You might be overawed:

over·awe verb

: to make (someone) unable to think, speak, or behave normally because of a strong feeling of respect and fear

(Definition from Merriam-Webster.com)

  • 3
    You might also check out awestruck.
    – Nick2253
    Dec 12, 2014 at 6:34
  • @Nick2253, it struck me too. Why not post it as an answer.
    – Manish
    Dec 12, 2014 at 13:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.