I'm searching for a word describing the sound of liquid hitting the floor, nothing like water — more like milkshake/vomit.

I know this sounds strange, but I was thinking of plunge. Only to discover that it's more in use for people diving into water...

  • Milkshakes won't make much noise. They are aerated, and the speed of sound in a aerated fluid is so small it just can't make collimated waves over a surface and transfer that to the air. Plus it's really viscous, so it doesn't want to reverberate either. So it's really a matter of the floor. Last table Sorry, just came from Engineering.se . There is an acoustics tag over there if you are interested.
    – Phil Sweet
    Commented Mar 28, 2018 at 23:47

7 Answers 7


This comes to my mind:

splat 2 informal noun a sound of something soft and wet or heavy striking a surface : the goblin makes a huge splat as he hits the ground.

Could apply to a quantity of water, I imagine. Also, it's a 19th century abbreviation of splatter, which might also work.

  • I would say 'splat' is used for something with more substance. 'Wet', yes but not a liquid. A custard pie, for example, might 'splat'.
    – Karl
    Commented Apr 16, 2011 at 12:32
  • well, milkshake & vomit are more substancy
    – Asaf
    Commented Apr 16, 2011 at 12:44

"Splosh" was my first thought. It's just a variation of "splash," but I always think of splashing in a bathtub. "Slosh" would be the sound you get shaking liquid in a basin of some sort. Thus, I offer "splosh."

...Now that I think about it, though, a lot of the time when something as thick as a milkshake hits the ground it makes more of a "slap" than anything else...

May I suggest an experiment...?

  • 2
    I like the idea of experimenting. The great thing with onomatopoeia is that if you were to make up a word entirely, it shouldn't matter too much as people will mostly get the idea - as long as you replicate the sound accurately enough. So yes, try it out and see how you think it sounds!
    – Karl
    Commented Apr 16, 2011 at 12:33
  • Yes but if you try to describe a scene and the first sentence is "you hear a sound of squaalaaash in the room".. It could get quite confusing.
    – Asaf
    Commented Apr 16, 2011 at 12:43
  • ...A little silly, perhaps, but I wouldn't say confusing, and silly only because of the a's. I wouldn't think anything unusual of "You hear a squalash in the room."
    – kitukwfyer
    Commented Apr 16, 2011 at 19:13

What about plop? It has a thick sound to it. According to Wikitionary, it's even been converted to a noun in the UK, as a slang term for excrement, presumably from the sound of its hitting the water and its having just the right consistency.

  • @gbutters You are aware that excrement is another word for your solid, correct?
    – Uticensis
    Commented Apr 16, 2011 at 1:07
  • @gbutters No, it isn't. Yogurt, a colloid -- an even mixture of solid and liquid, hence "thick" -- can plop just fine. And besides, is vomit not solid?
    – Uticensis
    Commented Apr 16, 2011 at 1:23
  • 1
    Errm...Not to intrude on this lovely discussion, but, FWIW, I'd say onomatopoeia have pretty nebulous definitions. If I say someone's milkshake/vomit plopped onto the floor, well then plop it did! At the end of the day, this is going to come down to personal preference and perception... What I say makes a raspy sound may well sound a whispery one to the person next to me, and these liquid words are little different, IMHO.
    – kitukwfyer
    Commented Apr 16, 2011 at 2:15

splash, plop, or drip"

come to mind (depending on velocity)


I suggest splop: halfway between a splosh (which sounds rather wet) and a plop (which sounds rather thick and viscous).


All of the words given are examples of onomatopoeia - words that describe exactly the sound they refer to (like 'bang' and 'clap').

Some good onomatopoeic words for liquid are:

drip, drop, plop - these would describe single droplets of liquid hitting the floor individually, as from a loose faucet/tap.

drum, pit-a-pat, patter - like the droplets above but when many come down at once, like with rain.

sploosh, splosh, splash - these would describe larger quantities of liquid, like spilling a drink.

Hope this helps. I'm sure there are more, too.


There is also a swash. But this inconsequential answer didn't have thirty characters, so here is some bogus text to please the silly computer.

  • ...When that happens to me, I just put in another ellipsis!...I am rather fond of them...
    – kitukwfyer
    Commented Apr 17, 2011 at 0:52
  • @kitukwyer: Ah! But then... yes, it works, by Jove! Commented Apr 17, 2011 at 1:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.