the T between vowels change to t͡s in some english speakers?

Usually when I heard "What's, that's" or similar constructions, where the T come with S, I always consider like a t͡s, so I really don't know if my ears need more train or if it is really a t͡s and a natural variation.

But there is other case, when I listen to some speakers, usually they produce the same sound, but when a T occurs between vowels.

So, better represented by /ˈbetə(r)/ sounds more like /ˈbet͡sə(r)/.

This variation often happen with speakers who use a soft T (more air flow out mouth) instead of a hard T.

Thank you.

  • 1
    I have never heard this. Maybe there's a mismatch between English consonants and the consonants in your language, so that a consonant some people use for some /t/'s between vowels (and there is a lot of variation of this in English dialects) sounds like a /ts/ to you. – Peter Shor Dec 10 '14 at 16:41
  • 3
    'better' is standard to have a dental flap for the 't' in AmE, so there's no affrication. Is this for BrE or some other variety? Are you sure you're hearing affrication or just a lot of aspiration after the 't'? – Mitch Dec 10 '14 at 16:44
  • 1
    If the vowel following the 't' is a 'u', then there can be an affricate in British English. For example, in words like attune and for the last 't' in attitude, I believe that /tju/ can turn into in affricate (I don't think it's usually /tsu/ but I don't think it's always /tʃu/, either). – Peter Shor Dec 10 '14 at 19:27
  • 2
    Certainly, where I live in Merseyside, initial /t/ often approaches /ts/, so that 'two' sounds very similar to German 'zu'. And I have heard British speakers turn /tj/ followed by /u:/ into something approaching an affricate, so that 'tune' almost sounds like 'choon'. – David Garner Dec 18 '14 at 16:28
  • 1
    This affrication before /juː/ is well know. Tune is represented by /tjuːn/ but sometimes sounds like /tʃjuːn/ and words finished with /t/ or /d/ and begining with juː become affricated in the same manner. But sometimes I heard a different affricate variation, similar with a S and Z "stop". Often when T happens between vowels. – Apprentice Dec 18 '14 at 16:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.