This question already has an answer here:

I'm writing a story in which the last two words are currently "fake smile." It would be punchier if I could condense these two words into one - is there any such word?

marked as duplicate by Mari-Lou A, ermanen single-word-requests Dec 5 '14 at 15:14

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • 1
    This has already been answered here – J_LV Dec 5 '14 at 3:18
  • Thanks! Although, that's someone who gives a fake smile - is there a word for the fake smile itself? – AVM Dec 5 '14 at 3:20
  • Yes, it's called a Pan Am smile (that was the first word used) or a Botox smile according to (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smile) – J_LV Dec 5 '14 at 3:24
  • 1
    "Smirk" comes pretty close. (I've never heard of "Pan Am smile", and "Botox smile" suggests someone whose face is frozen in a smile from botched cosmetic surgery.) – Hot Licks Dec 5 '14 at 4:47

We could derive eccedentesism from eccedentesiast which is a coinage of Florence King's for one who smiles such fake smiles.

I don't recommend you do though, as not enough people know eccedentesiast to be able to figure out eccedentesism.

I'd recommend the opposite, of being less direct rather than using a single word, "salesman smile", "Stepford smile", "customer services smile", "politician smile", "infomercial smile" and so on, depending on why they have such a fake smile at the story's end.

  • If it's eccedentesiast, shouldn't it be eccedentesiasm? – Janus Bahs Jacquet Dec 5 '14 at 3:57
  • @JanusBahsJacquet surely things are bad enough as it is! – Jon Hanna Dec 5 '14 at 3:58
  • I thought that was a stripper. – Hot Licks Dec 5 '14 at 4:49
  • @HotLicks sometimes they are. – Jon Hanna Dec 5 '14 at 4:54

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.