I have often been intrigued by the following questions in various documents across the Indian sub-continent:
Ability to read, speak, and write - Yes.
Fluency level- Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced.
What would be the most appropriate statement (or word) to qualify how well a person speaks a foreign language? It would also have to include the following skills: speaking, listening, reading, and writing.
- I am proficient in three languages.
- I speak two languages- one fluently other not so
- I can converse in two languages
- I know two languages
- I have studied three languages
- I have learned two foreign languages