Generally, in some indoor stadiums or arenas or theaters, if you will...there is a walkable space in the roof or the area directly above the stage...from which many technical activities are performed...

4 Answers 4


The general term you might refer to is Catwalk, but there must be a specific term for stage.

  • If it is directly above the stage as part of the production set, it might be scaffolding, but catwalk is what I had in mind as well.
    – jxh
    Dec 4, 2014 at 3:10
  • 5
    Catwalk (ktwôk) n. A narrow, often elevated walkway, as on the sides of a bridge or in the flies above a theater stage. TFD
    – Mazura
    Dec 4, 2014 at 3:18
  • 2
    A photo from a good angle: austinchronicle.com/binary/5050/arts_feature99-6.jpg
    – ermanen
    Dec 4, 2014 at 3:45
  • 1
    I've always heard catwalk for the theater. Dec 4, 2014 at 16:45
  • 1
    And here was I thinking a catwalk was just the runway that fashion models prance up and down! Never knew it meant anything else (apparently it's also a similar structure on a whaling boat). Learn summat new ev’ry day! Dec 4, 2014 at 17:37

Above the stage is the Rope Loft or Fly Loft. To day it's usually referred to as The Grid. The working/walking areas are usually referred to as The Bridge. If you say "Up on the grid" riggers and techs will know what you're talking about.

Also see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly_system

  • 3
    +1 When I was active in theatre ('65-'95 in the US) the grid was specifically the system of cris-crossing beams from which scenic and lighting elements were suspended; the area above that, where people worked, was the flies--you might say someone was working on the grid or in the flies. A catwalk was a section of the grid boarded over to make work and movement less precarious. Dec 4, 2014 at 14:44

I would refer to such a platform as a "gantry".

A bridge-like overhead structure with a platform supporting equipment such as a crane, signals, or cameras:

"the TV cameras on gantries alongside the 17th and 18th holes"

  • A gantry is just a frame that things are mounted on: it's not necessarily walkable. Dec 4, 2014 at 14:29
  • Not necessarily, I agree. But they can be.
    – Ste
    Dec 4, 2014 at 16:01

Castles and cathedrals have “allures/alurs/alures” aka “wall-walks” around their perimeters near/at/above roof-level to facilitate foot-traffic and movement of weapons/equipment. While they wouldn’t apply to theaters/stages and are perhaps not designed for modern technical activities, stadiums and arenas probably have similar elevated walkable ways around their perimeters.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.