What is the verb for the action of creating a suggestion?

e.g. you have "raise a concern"

I don't like to go with "suggest a suggestion", but ok if thats the way to go.

Also, what is the correct term for these kind of verbs?


It's "to suggest something".

A good way to express what you're thinking of without using "suggest a suggestion" would be to go with "make a suggestion". It's the most common way of putting it.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks. What about "offer an offer"? Also "make an offer"? How about "provide a suggestion"? – user1589188 Dec 4 '14 at 3:05
  • 1
    No problem mate. "Provide a suggestion" works just as well. It's a little less common and a tad more formal. But other than that, it's perfectly fine. Regarding your other question: "submit/make/place" an offer. They all work. – J_LV Dec 4 '14 at 3:09
  • offer a suggestion is also quite common. – Jim Dec 4 '14 at 4:24

propose, v. -Google

  1. put forward (an idea or plan) for consideration or discussion by others.

    "he proposed a new nine-point peace plan"

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.