In the novel Perfume, by Patrick Süskind, it is notable that the main character appears in the same setting and scenario in the beginning of the novel and in the end. Is there a word for when this happens in novel or TV shows?

  • 3
    Did he thus come full circle? – pazzo Dec 3 '14 at 3:42
  • no. There is a certain character development, but he comes back to the place of his birth, where he also dies. – Filip Smakal Dec 3 '14 at 4:30

This is called bookending or the bookends technique. One explanation is at eHow This technique is also used in speaking. See Andrew Dlugan's speaking blog for a good article. I try to use this technique whenever possible when I write a speech, especially motivational/inspirational speeches.

Bookending is a form of a callback. A callback is when some part of a story, speech, etc., refers back to something earlier.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.