I am writing a statement of purpose and want an alternative for "under the guidance of Professor". I has been used many times in the SOP and I want to avoid using it as much as possible. One alternative I can think of it "worked for Professor ..." but I do not know if that is correct (Objection I have: I think university is the employer and not the professor).

Please let me know how this can be rephrased or alternatives for this. Thanks in advance.

  • "in collaboration with Professor Jones." – Gary's Student Dec 2 '14 at 1:00
  • "under the aegis of" – Hot Licks Dec 2 '14 at 1:02
  • 1
    It might help to describe more about what you were doing "under the guidance of Professor." Were you interning, working a regular job, receiving special training, or being guided in some other way? – Pixie Dec 3 '14 at 0:34
  • I guess you're writing something about how you will carry out work/study for a higher degree. This is bordering on writing advice, but please give full details including a couple of example sentences. – Andrew Leach Dec 4 '14 at 7:52
  • 1
    "to work with" is certainly used in academia. You could also replace guidance with supervision, depending on what exactly his/her role was. – painfulenglish Dec 4 '14 at 7:53

with assistance from Prof... assisted by Prof... supervised by Prof... sponsored by Prof... under the office of Prof...

  • Also "under the lead/leadership/supervision/tutorship/umbrella/direction of Professor X", "I assisted/seconded Professor X", "I contributed/participated to Professor X research works/papers". – Graffito Sep 16 '15 at 22:23


protection of or authority over someone or something; guardianship.

Please let me know how this can be rephrased or alternatives for this.

"under the tutelage of Professor" ...
instruction; tuition.

"he felt honored to be under the tutelage of an experienced professor"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.