Is there a collective noun for words that describe something that this word itself contains or is?

Here are some examples of what I mean:

  • ‘noun’ is a noun itself;
  • ‘háček’ contains a letter with a háček;
  • ‘plurals’ is plural itself.

Such a word is autological and can be called an autonym.

  • Interesting, thank you! I am actually somewhat surprised there is a word for this. – Joffysloffy Nov 29 '14 at 11:17
  • 1
  • I am unsure where words like ‘vowel’ and ‘háček’ fit in. They don't seem to be autological, because they do not describe themselves, but merely a part of themselves. Moreover, ‘letters’ is autological, but as far as I can tell ‘letter’ is not, because it does not describe itself entirely; only a part of itself. Is there a separate term for words that are not quite autological, but still do describe a part of themselves? – Joffysloffy Nov 29 '14 at 22:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.