What is the expression to refer to a "younger class of students".

Specifically, for instance I entered my university in 2002, and there a pool of students entering university of in 2004. How should I address, for instance, this pool of students. Is a "younger class of students" a right way to say?

  • Undergraduate students who have only just entered university (eg they're in their first week) are freshers. (BrEng)
    – A E
    Nov 28, 2014 at 7:40
  • Maybe freshman without reference to any year. I personally like cohort.
    – user98955
    Nov 28, 2014 at 19:24

2 Answers 2


Most students who entered university in 2004 would be younger than those who entered in 2002, but there will probably be some older late-entry students.

For this reason, unless the age of the students who entered in 2004 is central to your writing, I suggest:

"newer intake of students" or "more recent intake of students" or, if the date is important, "2004 intake of students".


I would use "later class of students" or use a term that indicates how much time has passed since they started at the university. For example:

first year students

second year students

third year students

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.