What word describes the experience of pleasure at the sound of a word? This refers to the enjoyment of words being pronounced, rather than to the euphony, or pleasing sound, of a word.

I know that such a word exists describing this experience of pleasure, but I cannot remember it. I've tried numerous sources, e.g. google.com, dictionary.com, but cannot find the word again. Can you think of the word, or tell me where it might be found (short of reading through every entry in the O.E.D.)?

  • 3
    Please edit your post so that its body contains an entire question, phrased in complete English sentences with subjects and verbs. As it stands, the post has an unmeaningful phrase (“the sound word”) in the title, and some unclear sentence fragments (“Not the pleasing sound of a word” and “But the enjoyment of that word being pronounced”) in the body. You are more likely to get a good answer if you ask a question that's easily understood. – James Waldby - jwpat7 Nov 27 '14 at 6:40
  • I revised the grammar of the subject. It was an egregious oversight on my part. – Aaron H. Dec 3 '14 at 18:32
  • Aaron, the title looks much better, so I retracted my downvote and closevote. However, as the post still begins with a sentence fragment instead of a sentence, and doesn't have a question clearly or explicitly stated in the body, I'm not upvoting it yet. – James Waldby - jwpat7 Dec 3 '14 at 19:04
  • Okay, I fixed it up again. How does it look? – Aaron H. Dec 3 '14 at 21:40
  • 1
    You might be thinking of mellifluousness: sweetly or smoothly flowing; sweet-sounding? – Mari-Lou A Dec 4 '14 at 16:56

I don't know the word.... but there is an entire blog devoted to musings about various words and what their sounds evoke, whether related to their actual meaning or not. If you like turning over in your mind the impressions that words make on your ears (and mouth), try Sesquiotica.


|improve this answer|||||
  • A lovely blog, I'll be bookmarking this one. – Mari-Lou A Dec 4 '14 at 17:04

I'm not certain of any one specific word. But auditory-tactile synesthesia is where certain sounds can induce sensations in parts of the body, including those of pleasure; although perhaps this is more of a biological response.

The word synaesthesia is quite close too:

the production of a sense impression relating to one sense or part of the body by stimulation of another sense or part of the body.

[Wikipedia, Oxford Online Dictionary]

|improve this answer|||||

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.