Is there a specific term for facial hair around the mouth (or a beard) if the person in question is female? I'm looking for a translation of the German "Damenbart". Some dictionaries provide

facial hair

as a translation, but that is not quite specific enough compared to the German term. Ideally, I'm looking for a phrase to insert into a statement of the form

She has a ...

  • Female facial hair!m.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Female-Facial-Hair
    – user66974
    Commented Nov 26, 2014 at 21:27
  • 4
    She has excessive facial hair.
    – user66974
    Commented Nov 26, 2014 at 21:35
  • 1
    The ladies to describe it as a beard. Hence "Bearded Ladies"
    – SrJoven
    Commented Nov 26, 2014 at 22:18
  • This is what I'd call a bearded woman She is of course Conchita Wurst the winner of the Eurovision song contest, from Austria.
    – Mari-Lou A
    Commented Nov 27, 2014 at 12:46
  • This is what down looks like.
    – Mari-Lou A
    Commented Nov 27, 2014 at 12:48

3 Answers 3


If the facial hair is very soft and has a slightly matted appearance it is sometimes referred to as down. Some compare it to the skin that covers a peach. It is also used for very young children, especially newborns.

down noun
2.1. Fine, soft hair on the face or body of a person:
the little girl had a covering of golden down on her head

Oxford Dictionaries

For facial hair that is visible above the lips, there are two ways of calling it; (fine) upper-lip hair, which many would posit is an euphemism for the more masculine term, moustache. Female moustaches aren't the same as men's. Firstly they don't normally grow beyond a certain length, and secondly they're usually much softer and more delicate in appearance. enter image description here If you type upper-lip hair on Google you'll find many instances and images

moustache noun
1. A strip of hair left to grow above the upper lip.
She has a pencil-thin moustache on her upper lip

Oxford Dictionaries

A more precise medical term for facial and body hair is

Vellus hair
Vellus hair is short, fine, light-colored, and barely noticeable hair that develops on most of a person's body during childhood. Exceptions include the lips, the back of the ear, the palm of the hand, the sole of the foot, some external genital areas, the navel and scar tissue. [...]Vellus hair is most easily observed on children and adult women, as they generally have less terminal hair to obscure it.


For hair that is visible around the chin area, you could call it chin hair, but I barely read this term in depilatory products. Generally the most common and most understood term is the one discovered by the OP himself, facial hair.

  • Great answer. (BTW, I just heard "moustache" being used on the Big Bang Theory.) Commented Nov 30, 2014 at 13:59

Hirsutism: abnormal growth of hair on a person's face and body, especially on a woman.


Informally, it's called peach fuzz, and it can apply to teens as well as women.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.